Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important Announcement: Apple will soon begin implementing App Store Price increases for several countries over the next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with you Evanna, I understand that money needs to be paid, but it should at least be the same for all, I really hope that Bongfish will adjust this

Comment

There is a VIP EO today:

While It still costs 49.99 USD, it costs 54.99 euros. 54.99 Euro = 62.04 USD. So we pay 12.05 US dollars more in Europe than Smurf villagers in America. 12.05 USD = 10.68 €!
      Last edited by Morning Sky; 06-04-2017, 01:38 AM.

Comment

I think Bongfish can congratulate themselves.

They raised the prices, but except for a few (very few) unhappy voices, nothing happened. A handful of people don't buy stuff anymore, but that doesn't matter because everybody else still buys the items (through which they get enough money to make up for the losses and more). There is no use in unhappy words if no deeds follow. They keep making money, more than before, so it worked. Why change something that is positive for you? The only way companies can be made to change is through money. When people stop buying products, a company loses money. They want to make money, so they will try to figure out how to do that. When they get feedback on that, they will/might follow that feedback.

The result of this was positive. A handful of complaints, a few losses, but overall: People keep buying stuff and Bongfish/Flashman make more money. Success. And why bother saying anything about it? It's an unpleasant ordeal, and it works. So let's just stay quiet about it, let a few complaints trickle in, doesn't matter, the money flows.

Economically, it was a good move. I understand that and in a way can't fault them. They won't change their pricing. It worked, so why would they. But I still would like the know why the * the prices were raised for Eurozone people only. Why not raise all prices? I get that Americans probably would have flipped had it been $11+ and €10 because 'how unfair!' (would have been fair), but they could have made it $11/€11. (Still unfair exchange rate wise.) So why did they only raise the prices for Eurozone people? How on Earth is that fair or justified? Is there some law that we don't know about that means you will lose money for selling to Europeans but not to the rest of the world?

Comment

Evanna I can understand your frustration, but it might be incorrect to assume Bongfish are making more money than before. I'll try and do my best to explain what I am trying to say, but remember this is my own understating of the situation and I may be incorrect.

Apple regularly adjusts its product pricing and App Store pricing when taxes and exchange rates change. They have done this many times in the past, but it mostly goes unnoticed as they are not usually as dramatic. However, earlier this year back in January, Apple raised their App Store prices in the U.K by about 25% following the Brexit. When these increases do occur, I believe the Developers don't really see an increase in the amounts they receive from Apple when App Store purchases are made. Those increases are mostly if not all kept by Apple to cover their increased operating and tax costs in those select countries since they are the ones who process and collect the payments.

All that being said, I do believe it is true that Apple has started making newer pricing options for Developers to adjust their prices downward to offset the new increases, but I also believe if Developers take advantage of this, it means that the Developers will be the ones losing a bit of revenue. I think that is what is what Flashman and Bongfish are evaluating and reviewing to see what potential reductions if any, they can make to make things fairer.

We are still waiting on official word on what they decide to do, but when we have it, myself or someone else will share it with everyone.

Comment

• Evanna
            Evanna commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for replying.

Brexit doesn't explain a rise in Euro prices though, because the UK never had Euro. Except if we look at the GB leaving the EU and Apple assumed great instability, etc, in the whole Eurozone. Which... didn't happen. We're doing just fine. Not to mention GB hasn't even left yet.

So my understanding of your understanding is this: Apple likes to increase pricing. They did so earlier this year. Bongfish/Flashman didn't do anything about it, but don't necessarily profit from it. They are still thinking about what to do.

I'm not fond of increased pricing in general - nobody is (except those who profit from it) - but what rubs me wrong about this is that only some players are affected by it. If all prices had gone up, it would have been somewhat frustrating, but pricing going up for some people only feels really, really unfair. Especially because those people should be paying less than others because of the exchange rate. That's my problem with this whole thing. And the fact that I would have appreciated some words from Bongfish why this happened. Because when it was said that developers can adjust prices, it just seemed like Bongfish were cashing in / didn't care. If somebody steps up and says: ''Guys, this is what happened and why. We are thinking about what to do. Keeping/Changing things mean this or that and we still have to evaluate'' is worth a lot. So far they were good at communicating things; radio silence on this doesn't feel nice.

• Spelling Bee
            Spelling Bee commented
            Editing a comment
            Evanna I know this is a sensitive topic and you are very welcome for the reply.

I did not mean to suggest that there was a direct cause and effect between the UK increase and the Euro increase. I was just trying to illustrate that dramatic increases have occurred in the past. I do apologize if you felt I was trying to dismiss it in that way. Developers and Apple try to have the best relationship as possible. Even when things such as price increases occur. Apple's official statement regarding prices increases is this:

Price tiers on the App Store are set internationally on the basis of several factors, including currency exchange rates, business practices, taxes, and the cost of doing business. These factors vary from region to region and over time.
            So, my understanding of your understanding of my understanding (crazy I know lol) is close but I feel there are some things to point out. I would say it goes a bit like this. Because Apple is such a large company doing business in nearly every country in the world, the complexities of their business practices are known only to them. Twice so far this year, they've raised prices. Once for only the UK, and once more for several Countries in the Eurozone. Neither myself, you, or any of the Developers know the exact details explaining their decisions, other than their statement that I've included above.

No decision has been made one way or the other by Flashman / Bongfish in regards to if they will make adjustments on their end. If they do lower prices on their end, it may mean they will have less revenue. There are positives and negatives no matter which they choose, which is why these things can sometimes take longer than we like to be decided upon.

I think all of us can agree that no one ever would be in favor of having prices raised. I made this topic for our community members to be aware of the changes since I knew that there would members of our community affected and that there would be questions. In that respect, I was acting on Behalf of the developers so that everyone was aware. Yourself and others have shared your thoughts and feelings on the matter, and they are being taken into account. Vintoxi has replied earlier in the topic and said that they will share some news if and or when they decide to make an announcement on the subject. No one is forgetting about this topic, and I do apologize if it seems that it was being ignored.

• Evanna
            Evanna commented
            Editing a comment
            Spelling Bee
            Thank you for replying again and apologies for replying late.

Don't worry, I didn't feel like you were trying to dismiss it It only seemed like an attempted explanation and it made little sense to me. (Then again, there's a number or business decisions that are questionable because things are assumed across the globe that don't necessarily hold true, so it would be entirely possible that someone assumed things based on the Brexit and acted on their own predictions and not facts.)

It's a shame Apple decided to do this and it sort of made me wonder a little if it has anything to do with their new president...
            The exchange rate is in our favour and I don't know in how far taxes or business costs have changed; at least we didn't change any taxes to my knowledge, but I don't know if things in the US changed or there's some new company/business laws that made things more expensive. Or if maybe they just thought it'd be nice to make a little more money. (We know that 'Apple' is worth money. You can get the same quality from a lesser known/favourited brand for less money. As with so many things, people pay for the brand. [Not saying their quality is bad. Just that some things are more expensive than they would have to be and that you pay for the name, the ~lifestyle~, etc.])

Bongfish have been working hard and I think they deserve to be paid justly. They shouldn't lose money for putting more work in than the previous developers. Of course, as a user it's not pleasant to have to pay more either. As I've said before, it would feel better if it seemed a just raise in prices, read: For everyone.
            Bongfish have to keep making money and should they cut back on income here, they need to get it elsewhere. Maybe more EOs, higher SB prices for items and increased wonder requirements, etc, to get people to buy berries/resources, or something along those lines. I think that could/would be more painful than the current EO/Rarity Shop prices, because with those special items you can still opt to not buy them, whereas if the gameplay becomes harder, it affects more users and will be less fun to play.

I'm use Android and the $49.99 US equals $69.99 Australian dollars and the $9.99 US offers equal $13.99 Australian dollars. Sorry just wanted to point out the difference.

Comment

• Tamara Abbott
            Tamara Abbott commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought it was because of the exchange rate. I just wanted to point out the difference and our prices are shown in US dollars.

• Morning Sky
            Morning Sky commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you on IOS or android? In Europe IOS shows the currency we pay, With Android, the price is not converted into the currency until the purchase.

• Tamara Abbott
            Tamara Abbott commented
            Editing a comment
            Android!!!! ☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️

In the meantime, the euro has risen against the US dollar: 1 Euro = 1,1961 US$.
          We in Europe pay 54,99 € for this castle. This is equivalent to US$ 65.77. But in the USA the price for the castle is US$ 49.99. Why this huge price difference? US$ 49.99 currently equal 41.79 Euro
          Last edited by Morning Sky; 05-06-2018, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Come live in nz you will then have something to complain about

That $49.99 usd well you thought €65 was expensive try this

49.99 USD =71.2107NZD then come time end of next year add 15% gst to that = $81.89

Comment

• Morning Sky
              Morning Sky commented
              Editing a comment
              54,99 € = au$ 87,19

• debbles smurf
              debbles smurf commented
              Editing a comment
              I would direct your anger at apple. The prices set were before bongfish came on the scene. Shouldn't the price start out at usd rate and then it converts so perhaps that needs to change. The pricing was back when beeline owned the game. Be angry at beeline.

• AlleycatttSmurf
              AlleycatttSmurf commented
              Editing a comment
              debbles smurf the complaint is that Europeans are being charged $65.77 USD instead of the $49.99USD. Not what the exchange rate is.

In Canada we are paying $55 USD ($70CAD) + tax, so over $60USD. Nowhere near as bad as the difference that Europeans have, but still annoying.

Originally posted by Morning Sky View Post
            In the meantime, the euro has risen against the US dollar: 1 Euro = 1,1961 US$.
            It actually dropped in the past few days. We had been at 1 = 1.22 USD.

It's crazy we're supposed to pay $16 more for this EO.

Edit: A different comparison: With that rate and looking at 'cheap' EOs, it's $9.99 versus €10.99/$13.41. So $3.42 more which is over one third more than the US price.
            Last edited by Evanna; 05-06-2018, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• AlleycatttSmurf
              Editing a comment
              Evanna I realize that they probably aren’t going to change the pricing. My answer was in direct response to “blame Beeline for the pricing”. The fact remains that they could if they wanted to.

• Evanna
              Evanna commented
              Editing a comment
              AlleycatttSmurf
              Oh, I wasn't trying to argue that. I just meant to say that we were told that it won't happen. But yes, they could.

• AlleycatttSmurf
              Editing a comment
              No worries Evanna , I knew you weren’t arguing that☺️ Just wanted to make sure that my point about not just “blaming Beeline for the pricing” was clear😉

Do you guys over seas pay sales tax? I know we do here in the US, but I was wondering, I know in the UK the VAT is quite often figured into a price, making it seem higher but then ‘less’ at the register for those of us used to having up to 10% added for various taxes.

That could account for the odd discrepancies.

Comment

• Evanna
              Evanna commented
              Editing a comment
              skydiver118
              All our prices are final. I am always confused by US prices which show you a price but then surprise surprise! You actually end up having to pay more because of tax. What we see is what we get. As in, our prices already include it. So for us it's not 10 USD + 1 USD surprise tax, but 11 Euros to begin with (if we assume an item costs 10 and the tax is 1, on your price tag it'd say 10 on ours 11). Which makes me think... do you pay $10 for the $10 EOs? Or is that the price you see but then they randomly add a $1 tax fee after and what you have to pay in the end is $11?

That still would make EOs more expensive for us because of the exchange rate, because 11 USD is less than 11 EUR. Using some online currency converter that is about 9.20 EUR. 11 EUR are 13.16 USD. So a bit over 2 USD more than you have to pay if we assume that tax is added afterwards. (The higher the price the bigger the difference obviously.)

• skydiver118
              skydiver118 commented
              Editing a comment
              Evanna My last 4.99 eo really cost me $5.45
              so yeah, there is a little short of 10$ added to each purchase

• Evanna
              Evanna commented
              Editing a comment
              skydiver118
              Okay, thanks. Means taxes are added additionally. Those $4.99 EOs cost us €5.49 which is $6.57.

Hi everyone. Morning Sky, Flashman, and Bongfish set their in-app purchase prices the same for everyone, regardless of where you live, and which app store you are using. The discrepancies and variations begin to occur in how each app store handles their payments and processing. It cannot be stressed enough that Apple, Google, and Amazon do all the billing and payment processing through their own respective App Stores. Flashman and Bongfish then receive their portion of that payment after the App Stores take out their fees which some media reports claim can be as much as 30%. I can completely sympathize with your frustration, but as debbles smurf already pointed out, it's somewhat misplaced and should be directed elsewhere.

As I mentioned last year, the prices on the various App Stores are set internationally by several factors, including currency exchange rates, business practices, taxes and their respective costs of doing business. These factors vary from region to region and over time. The final prices shown are NOT based solely on exchange rates, because if they were, we likely wouldn't be having this conversation. It's not very fair to those living in the areas with the higher prices, but the only solution would be for the developers to lower their prices to offset the added costs tacked on by the App Stores. Doing that though means they will be making less from the areas such as the US, which would be okay for some larger developers that can absorb the costs and make it up in sheer volume, but not all developers can do that, especially the smaller ones.

Comment

• Evanna
              Evanna commented
              Editing a comment
              Spelling Bee
              Thank you for explaining. Like Alleycattt, I struggle(d) to understand it. But basically what you're saying is: Apple et al choose fees for the general transaction plus additional fees that are different for each country/currency (I think a lot of Euro countries have the same prices so it can't be country specific [I say a lot because I don't know about all countries, of course]). Bongfish always gets the same amount of money. Anything on top of that, is money that goes to the big corporations.
              Did I get it right?

• Spelling Bee
              Spelling Bee commented
              Editing a comment
              Evanna Yes, you have it correct. Ideally, these additional fees/charges would fluctuate up, and then back down. Unfortunately, that's rarely the case though.

• Evanna
              Evanna commented
              Editing a comment
              Spelling Bee
              Thank you. I know of developers who cover the additional costs but I also understand that depending on how much it is, we can't ask the same of Bongfish, at least not the full fees. Maybe a percentage but I understand that covering 30% might be too much. It just really is annoying and bad for us to be charged this much more I wish we'd pay Bongfish directly.
              As I've said in a different thread, if prices were lower (EOs for €5.49 max, Rarity items ideally cheaper too) people would spend more money overall because you don't have to overcome your inhibition of spending money and would click buy more often. Which really is stupid because you end up spending more in the end 😂 Those Apple et al fees really aren't doing anyone a favour. Except Apple 😒😠

The exchange rate also, literally changes by the minute. Now it may be pennies or fractions of pennies, but it’s a fluid thing.

Which would make rate accurate prices even more challenging to deal iwth.

It’s no fun I totally get that.

Comment

• Evanna
              Evanna commented
              Editing a comment
              I think we all know that and don't expect it to be constantly adjusted. But Euros worth more than USDs, so it should reflect that at least. There are websites that show you an average of what the exchange rate was in the last six months, something like that could be used to determine how much to charge.

I understand from Spelling Bee's explanation that this isn't possible/makes no real difference, but just wanted to say that

I do not understand the prices of the EO on iTunes. The EO today costs 5 Swiss francs. According to today's exchange rate, this corresponds to 4.60 Euros. But the EO costs 5,49 Euro! In America you pay 4.99 dollars, that would be 4.42 converted into euros and 4.80 in Swiss francs.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F88FD58E-EAE2-488C-879B-7B6500156690.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	268286

Compared to android:

Click image for larger version

Name:	895B3A57-30FB-4F59-8427-DB91F8232EA4.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	268287

Even the original price is different, i.e. $38.99 on IOS vs $34.99 on android ($4 dollar difference).

(These are the AU stores).

Comment

Trinity Here is a topic that may help explain it. The stores control the exchange rates and tax for various countries, which are reflected in the prices that are charged to customers. So if a developer sets a base USD price, the prices in various stores around the world may different because the store itself is using different exchange and tax rates. Though the focus is on App Stores in different countries, they talk about Android, too, and you can see how it would apply.
                Last edited by Cupcake; 12-20-2020, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Trinity
                  Trinity commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you... I never noticed this price difference until today, as I’ve only ever played on IOS. Trust apple to have a premium 😆🤷‍♂️
              Working...
              X