Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Independence Day from everyone at Flashman and Bongfish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chickadee2013
    replied
    Ooh I'm a bit late for this threadπŸ˜” but I was thinking of all in the USA on 4th of July. Hope you all enjoyed the celebrations.

I was was thinking of all of you Canadians on 1July too. My daughter went to a celebration with Canadian friends and had a great time.

Sorry I didn't jump in here. Belated best wishes and I hope you all celebrated in style.

Leave a comment:

• skydiver118
    commented on 's reply
    She did enjoy her walk last night. There were still a few fireworks going off but far less than the 4th.
    THe next big fireworks holiday would be new years - presuming some local sporting team doesn't go to a championship.
    Labor Day is the next major holiday but it's not a noisy one. Just picnics and summer t ype stuff.

• Evanna
    commented on 's reply
    Mh, yeah, both is possible. Could have been a genuine reaction or her fighting the feeling of something happening in her body and panicking. I think I'd be too scared to try the pills again as well. Ouch, okay. We sold 10ml bottles for about $7. Bach flowers supposedly are better than just chamomile or lavender, but I've never taken them myself and even if... All that homoeopathic stuff like that or valerian is different from person to person/animal to animal anyway. You have people who become the calmest one could possibly be after some valerian and other can chuck half the bottle/pill box and feel nothing.

I hope you and your Nini can enjoy the walk and time outside! It surely will be nice to get some sun and feel the breeze and grass underneath her little feet. The worst should be over now. I'm not familiar with American holidays, but the next big thing probably is a few months away, isn't it? (Do people do fireworks on Thanksgiving? That's probably more quiet or 'just' has parades/street festivals?)

• skydiver118
    commented on 's reply
    I wouldn't mind trying something if I could find it. I had got some pills from the vet but she seemed to have a reaction one time when I tried it, like she was having a hard time breathing, so I'm afraid to try it again. It could have just been her fighting the feeling of being drugged, I don't know. I was in petsmart the other day and looked at their calming drugs, but everything was so expensive that I hated to spend $20 on something that. may or may not work. If they'd had smaller packs I would have tried it.
    If I thought aroma therapy would work on her I already have lavender and chamomile oils.
    Usually I just try to reassure her and calm her. I'm hoping to take her out to the park tonight and let her get outside. Even if people are shooting off fireworks they shouldn't be doing them in the park, so it should be relatively calm for her. She has been essentially cooped up for the past week.

• Evanna
    commented on 's reply
    skydiver118
    Aww, an older lady already. (They can live pretty long though, can't they?) Yeah, makes sense that you best are gentle to her then, especially with her background. You could try - only if you want and think it's worth if, of course! - the Bach flower rescue drops somewhen to see if it eases her mood a little when there's a big celebration or a bad thunderstorm coming. Maybe it'll calm her nerves a little. I fully understand, though, if you say you prefer to not try /give her anything! Just a friendly suggestion. I've heard from several people that they help, which is why I mentioned them, but not everybody is comfortable with giving their pet any medication, no matter how natural it might be. (And I understand and respect that!)

• skydiver118
    commented on 's reply
    My Nini is 12 or so, so pretty much past the retraining stage. She spent part of the night buried under the covers. The kids across the street shot stuff up all day Monday so I came home to find that she'd destroyed one of her dog beds frantically trying to dig herself to safety.
    She's the same way with thunderstorms.
    Given her age and the fact that she's lost one of her friends and one of her humans in the past year, I just do what I can to comfort her.
    When we adopted her she had been emotionally abused by her owners....they had 3 small children and they thought it was fun to chase the puppy.....my niece is now 10 and Nini barely tolerates her sneaking a pet every now and then...so it's taken 10 years to get her that far. I'm the last thing she has left so I can't be too strict, just enough to chastise her when she messes in the house.

• Evanna
    commented on 's reply
    Poor little thing Do the fireworks stop after the 4th or do people keep firing the leftovers?

As AlleycatttSmurf suggested, there are sedatives you could try. Also a bunch of all natural ones. As a student I worked in a pet shop and we had a young couple with a wee dog (I can't quite remember but I think it was a chihuahua as well) who always threw up on car rides. When they came by, they sometimes asked if we had some paper towels for them (they always had some and water in their car but sometimes ran out) to clean up the mess and somewhen I suggested some drops to them to try. They tried them and the next time they came in, they ran to me, beaming, thanking me like ten times, saying their pup has not thrown up once since then and isn't panicking at all anymore. They also tried them before they brought her to the vet and she must have been a calm angel. It's just flowers (Bach flowers rescue remedy drops, if you care), so you can't really do harm with trying. (Except if you know of very specific allergies, but I haven't heard of allergies to Bach flowers yet, which, btw, you can also take as a human.)

As Sky says, don't mollycoddle too much because that suggests there is a reason to be scared, but you know your dog best. Some dogs need love and cuddles to feel safer, for others it's better to be like ''Isn't this exciting? Mh? *huge smile on your face, all in an excited, positive sounding voice* Isn't this pretty? Look, it's so pretty! It's so nice!'' Maybe mix the two. Hold your pup tight, pet it, cuddle it, but at the same time try to be all excited about it.
    Chihuahuas can be very easily frightened though, so I don't know how much use there is in that.

• Morning Sky
    commented on 's reply
    Do not commiserate the dog with words: "poor dog". You strengthen the fear.
    Call joyfully: "Hurray" and give a positive cheerful atmosphere.

• AlleycatttSmurf
    commented on 's reply
    One of my pups is terrified of fireworks too. You should try sedatives from the vet coupled with keeping the tv or music on for the night.

• skydiver118
    replied
    I've been lucky to not have that happen, but I have a nervous chihauhaha that hasn't wanted to take a walk for days and who will be a nervous wreck all night tonight. She hates loud noises.
    THe animal shelters will be full to bursting tomorrow with all the animals that run away and get lost.

Leave a comment:

• Evanna
    replied
    Happy Independence Day, American Smurfs!

Happy late Canada Day, Canadian Smurfs!

Hope all of you have a great time and wonderful, safe celebrations!

(Please also think of scared pets. Your dog/cat might run away [if it can] when it's scared of fireworks and other pets might freak out, too. Let your little friends be safe as well. Just a gentle reminder because I know some people lost their pets because they ran away and got hit by cars )

Leave a comment:

• AlleycatttSmurf
    replied
    And Happy 150th Canada on July 1 πŸ˜‰πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Leave a comment:

• Cupcake
    replied
    And to you all, Ms. Bee, and all my Smurfy friends in the USA!

Leave a comment:

• Happy Independence Day from everyone at Flashman and Bongfish!

Happy Independence Day to all of our wonderful Players! Share this Smurfy greeting with your friends and family!

Don't forget to also visit your Video Hut and check out our Extra Missions Sale with 3x the Smurfberries! Going on now through Wednesday July 5th at 9:00 AM PST
Working...
X