Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Android] "Site cannot be reached" or "Secure connection failed" when attempting to reach the form over a mobile network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Android] "Site cannot be reached" or "Secure connection failed" when attempting to reach the form over a mobile network

I'm still experiencing issues not being able to reach the forums or anyplace on this site if I'm using a mobile network instead of wifi.

This has been a problem for well over a year. Can we please make some progress in this?

This is the error I get:

I think this is something that only your mobile carrier can do, not on Bongfish part. Certain carrier block something they think "not appropriate". My carrier block imgur site and I can't see any imgur pics in the forum unless I use certain browser

Comment

• Schtroumpfette
      Schtroumpfette commented
      Editing a comment
      My mobile carrier tells me it is not their problem and that it is a Bongfish issue.

It might be the cell site you connect to as quite often I have that issue linked to a cell site. Could be the settings on your device. Try changing the network settings of your device to either 3g or 4g. I quite often find the 4g cell site cannot handle huge foot traffic and will not allow me to connect so I change the network settings to 3g only and the issue doesn't occur as the 3g cell site is in a different location. I notified my telco and they are looking at the issue and hopefully they will fix. The way go test this try logging into an app store in my case samsung app store using the 4g cell site. You can see at top of device which signal you are picking up as 4g will show. If you find that you cannot log in tells you to check internet connection and gives an error code this tells me it is a cell site issue. Then change the network settings to 3g only and try again if you can log into the app store no issues that just recomfirms the issue is a cell site problem. In that case maintenance may be required and again contact your telco as they have a responsibility to fix the issue

Comment

• Schtroumpfette
      Schtroumpfette commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info. I will try this, but as we are traveling, both my husband and I (he's on iOS) are unable to connect to the site via cellular connection. We've been all over Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee this weekend. We've gone through an innumerable amount of cell sites on I65.

I'm answering on Culver's WiFi but I will try accessing the way you suggest once we are again on the road.

• Schtroumpfette
      Schtroumpfette commented
      Editing a comment
      I had no luck via cellular on either hubby's iOS phone or mine while connected to the cellular network after making my last comment from Culver's WiFi.

My phone automatically steps down to 2G. There is no means within the settings that I could find to force it to not connect at 4G.

This domain is the only site we have trouble connecting to via cellular internet connection.

Try another web browser to access the forum as another option. I use multiple internet browsers as back up. Also try clearing the cache of the device and the app you use for accessing the forum. I am using mobile data to access the forum so it can't be the forum as the issue.

Comment

The network settings I was referring to you will find in the settings menu

Depending on which android version you are using

With android 9.0 it is connections then mobile networks then network mode. In network mode you have several options to choose from

4g/3g/2g auto connect
      3g/2g auto connect
      3g only
      2g only

I jump between the 1st and 3rd option when I encounter the issue you describe and have found the 4g cell site has issues normally at night when everyone is home which is why I suggested it might be a cell site issue. 2g is now no longer here in nz which is where I am. Contact your telco and ask them to check while you are speaking to them the cell sites you connect to and see if there is a known issue

Comment

• Schtroumpfette
        Schtroumpfette commented
        Editing a comment
        My Android is set up for option 1.

I have tried two different browsers with the same result.

My husband on iOS gets the same result.

We have tried several different times of day, and we have tried multiple locations while driving from Indianapolis, IN to Nashville, TN--nearly 300 miles. If we were trying from only one static location, I might agree it could be a telco/congestion issue.
        Last edited by Schtroumpfette; 07-08-2019, 02:48 PM.

Seems odd as I am using mobile data to access the internet and this forum. I would still get your telco to do some checking. It would make sense if both you and your husband are having the same issue. I don't think android or ios matters as I think the issue is connecting to the internet which means the telco should be checking all the cell sites you both connect to to see if there is an issue in any way. And what also makes me think this is because you can access the forum via wifi no issues so has to be to do with connecting to the internet via mobile data which is to do with the cell sites. Try changing the network mode to 3g only and see if thay gives you the same issue
      Last edited by debbles smurf; 07-08-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Schtroumpfette
        Schtroumpfette commented
        Editing a comment
        To be clear, I can access every site I want to connect to over mobile network except this site.

This is why my carrier insists it is a site issue and not a network issue.

I tried a third browser, this time Firefox and this is the error I'm getting.

Comment

Have tried both firefox and chrome and opera and can access the forum no issues on mobile data. I would log a ticket with bogfish helpdesk see what they think but I do find it odd that I can access the forum no problem on mobile data

Comment

Have a read of this as there maybe a fix in there

https://www.androidcrush.com/fix-ssl...error-android/

Comment

Spelling Bee Reporting that since the security update done on this site, I am now able to load the forums on cellular connection.

​​​​​​​Please mark this issue as closed.

Comment

• Spelling Bee
              Spelling Bee commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for letting me know!
          Working...
          X