Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Flashman and Bongfish have any plans to add a Game Center friend management system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Flashman and Bongfish have any plans to add a Game Center friend management system?

Is there any word from Bongfish on how &/or when they plan to implement the ability to invite friends?
    We have been unable to do this since the GC app was dropped. I would love to visit some new friends' villages.

Hi Caro. That's something they'll be looking into once they get everything else going in the right direction. As you know, Apple has passed all of that work onto the developers. It will take a lot of time and resources to build in new features to utilize the the Game Center tools that Apple has given them. Time and resources that are better spent in other areas for the immediate time being. I have definitely made it known to Beeline that this is something iOS players really want to have restored. I'll continue to do the same with the new team.

Comment

Thanks Spelling Bee. It's a really important part of our game.

Comment

Any news about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Sky View Post
          Any news about this?
          Not at this time.

Comment

I really hope Bongfish finds a way for us to ad friends. It's something I've really wanted to be able to do since shortly after joining this forum, and I kept trying to figure out how. I even created a Smurfs Village specific facebook account thinking I could somehow do it through there. I would really love to be able to visit other peoples villages to see their creations and leave gifts😊

Comment

This should be the first priority. Other games have gotten the possibility very quickly. For example have a Look at Hay Day:

Last edited by Morning Sky; 02-10-2017, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Any news about this?

Comment

I would request something other than Facebook or iMessenger. We need something anonymous, like a unique SV/Bongfish user ID on a closed system. There is NO way I'm putting my iMessenger or FB info out there. Here's why:

Recently, I had a bad experience making friends for another game. The developer uses Facebook info to connect players. I have a dummy FB account for this purpose. So, I put my FB address on a game forum thread for less than a day, and changed my privacy settings so I could receive friend requests from players (aka strangers). I ended up with literally hundreds of requests. Very quickly. At first, I was excited and tapping 'Accept' like crazy. Thank god I stopped after about 60 people. When I opened my game, ready to check out all the cool Islands of my new Dragonvale friends, only 8 or 10 people showed up on my in-game friends list. All those requests? They were from Nigerian princes and the like. None of them even play DV. *facepalm* I quickly deleted my info from the forum.

Lesson learned. Facebook ain't what it used to be. I will never, ever openly share any of my email addresses (real or dummy), contact info, or Facebook info online again. These people scan game forums looking for contact info and once they have it, it spreads to other scammers like wildfire. And giving out my Apple email address, the one attached to iMessenger? No freakin' way that is happening. Ever.

I changed my FB privacy settings so only 'friends of friends' can send me requests, but I am still getting dozens and dozens of requests from scammers. I check like once a week and it's unbelievable. One of my DV friends must be 'friends' with a scammer or 20, so my contact info is still accessible and spreading. Sucks. Can't figure out who it is. What also sucks is I'd absolutely love to have more DV friends to cooperative breed with. I try to look for requests with graphics from the game as an avatar, but there is so much garbage to sort through, it's hardly worth it for the occasional legit friend request. I'm afraid to send out my own requests because who's to say the scammers don't lay bait when they cruise game forums? I just wanted to breed dragons, man, not deal with this crap.

Thank goodness I don't use FB and it's not a real account. I can't imagine if something like this happened to my Mom, who would use her real FB info, and who actually uses FB to chat and share pictures with my sister and nieces.

Game Center was great because you could choose how much you wanted to reveal about yourself. Everyone was located by their GC ID, and you could choose any name for your account. I used my initials. Online privacy is important. Apple really screwed a lot of players of many, many different games over when they dumped GC. I don't know what they were thinking.
                  Last edited by happybird; 06-29-2017, 09:34 PM. Reason: editing for clarity and OCD

Comment

• Evanna
                    Evanna commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good idea. I'd never use a real account and post that info online either. I don't even like the idea of a fake account and you just proved why that's not the best idea either, although I guess you had extra bad luck. I didn't feel comfortable posting my GC name here, either. When I thought about starting to add friends (which unfortunately coincided with GC friending being shut down), I thought about pm-ing a bunch of users here about whether or not they'd be okay with being friends.

• AlleycatttSmurf
                    AlleycatttSmurf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I never added friends to SV (except my husband who played with me for 6 months to a year when the game first came out) because of privacy issues. I was sketched out to even do it through GC. Once I joined this forum though I decided that I'd like to add friends from here, but at that point it was impossible to do so through GC. I made an SV only fb account since my personal account is family only with strict privacy settings (I used to have a normal account with all my old friends on it but I deactivated it a few years ago because I was sick of all the drama😆), but never ended up adding any friends to it because from what I read on here most ppl were uncomfortable using fb to add friends at all. Your story explains why and I'm glad I didn't post my info anywhere, even if it is just an SV fb account that I'll probably delete now anyway. I don't understand why Apple did this with GC either, it seems kind of ridiculous.

I'm also really hoping Bongfish figures out a secure way for us to add friends again as I'd like to add players from this forum, it seems like a really cool aspect of this game that I am missing out on :/

I never really got into friending, largely due to privacy. NO offense to anyone but I don't know you, and I don't know who you associate with and with stuff like this, once you open those gates your info is out there, forever.
                  Then i friended my niece and it became even more important because she's young and I had to protect her privacy and I knew if my name was out there they'd find hers.

I refuse to use facebook for friending. I won't use the facebook app although it's built in on my iPad beause I know once you say yes to something you can never pull it back and I have seen too many instances of once things are linked then almost everything you do on the device gets shared "so and so visited here, they liked this, they tweeted this, downloaded this app' etc.

Some can be controlled but not enough. Facebook is relentlessly harassing people to add ore friends, like this, share this, so and so commented on this, won't you too?' etc. It has become that pushy neighbor that is standing on the edge of being a stalker because they won't respect boundaries - in fact as time goes by facebook seems to deliberately disable more and more boundaries.

iMessage isn't much better, largely because of the massive amount of scams out there. People sending phishing mails to try an steal your account info.....well the more you use it and open it up the easier that is to fall victim to.

Cyberabuse runs rampant and I think any friending system needs to take this into account and protect the players. Facebook is not that way. Facebook is borderline abusive with its obsession with spreading. iMessage isnt' much better. A closed sy system with strong spam controls might be the best.

Comment

Happybird made a great suggestion for a new Smurfs Village ID (which will be used for adding friend). Drop the game center and drop those facebook system. I'm on android and facebook never works on my game (it only works once on grandpa island update then it broke again. Perhaps with this new SV ID, Android users can view IOS village and vice versa (May be not at the meantime. But at least that's some possibility in the future)

Comment

Spelling Bee Twinkiepie

I‘ve been longing for new neighbors for a rather long time. Since there is no Gamecenter anymore befriending new neighbors isn’t possible. But in other games this can be done. This seems to mean there is a technical solution to this problem which won’t be applied with Smurfs Village. Facebook isn’t a real solution, because many people don’t want to connect via Facebook!

For years there have been the same gifts for us to give. This has become quite boring.

A reoccurring thought amongst smurf fans is to give stuff from your own village to your friends villages. Don’t you think this would be a great idea?

Dear Bongfish-team, please consider our thoughts and wishes. Maybe there’s a good solution.
                      Last edited by Marla Stein; 03-18-2018, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Spelling Bee
                        Spelling Bee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Marla Stein Bongfish will be implementing a new friend management system that does not use Game Center, or Facebook. They want to ensure that the new system will be easy to use, protect privacy, and be much more stable.

Yes please, we are waiting since May 2016 for the new frend system

Comment

• Spelling Bee
                        Spelling Bee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Morning Sky While we have been waiting for quite some time, Bongfish has only had the game in their possession for a little over a year. Much of that time was spent cleaning up the catastrophe that was Beeline's final few months developing the game. It's not as if during this past year they have been sitting on their hands doing nothing. The sheer amount of complicated and broken code they've had to shore up and fix was a herculean task all on its own. Thankfully, all of that groundwork and rebuilding of the code they've been doing on the back end will start becoming more noticeable in the coming months/year as new features are gameplay mechanics are finally revealed and or added. Basically, your patience will be rewarded.

How far have you come developing this? Is this something we can expect within the next few updates? It's been a while since it has been mentioned and last time it sounded as if it's not that far off into the future and that was some time ago, too.

Comment

• Spelling Bee
                        Spelling Bee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Evanna Please see my replies above to Marla Stein and Morning Sky. There is no exact ETA on when the new friend management system will be added, but it is on their roadmap and being actively worked on. Bongfish is a relatively small, but wonderful team. They don't have the massive budgets and manpower of bigger Developers like Supercell to have quick turn arounds with new features. They also have had to contend with game code that's going on 8 years of age, and was suffering from years of neglect.

I will wrap this up by saying that what they are working on for the friends and gifting isn't just a new way to add and manage your friends. It's more like a total revamp of the game's social features in general, and what I've seen looks wonderful. It's coming, sooner rather than later, but most likely not within the next several updates. I know personally I want them to shoot for the stars and make everything worth the wait. I think it will be. And having spent all these years getting to know our community, I think you'll agree with me. ❤️

• Evanna
                        Evanna commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Spelling Bee
                        Thank you for your answer!
                        To me personally, it's also more important that bugs are fixed and that we get new content than a new friending system, but as it had been mentioned I wondered anyway because it would be nice to be able to look at other villages and leave gifts. I hadn't realised it's been eight years already, wow! In a way I still feel like I started playing two years ago, but even my current village is older than that and I had another one previously that I played for about two years. I wish I rememberd when I started this game in general and this current village.

That sounds intriguing! I don't know what it could mean, but I look forward to it. They have done a great job dealing with resilient bugs and I really appreciate that. If they keep going like this and care about our game, I think we'll be happy with them Sure, there's always things that can be improved or things that one wishes were different about updates, but overrall they've done very well.

Thankyou Spelling Bee and Bongfish, that sounds great!

Comment

Working...
                      X